No one likes losing a tooth or teeth to disease, fracture, pain and infection.
TOOTH REPLACEMENT IS NECESSARY FOR AT LEAST THESE 3 REASONS:
1. COSMETIC- MISSING TEETH ARE NOT ATTRACTIVE
2. LOSS OF FUNCTION- IT IS HARDER TO CHEW
3. MINIMIZE TOOTH MOVEMENT- TEETH START MOVING CREATING CHANGES IN BITE OFTEN CREATING JOINT PAIN too.
TOOTH REPLACEMENT SOLUTIONS
1. DENTAL IMPLANTS- A Great solution if patient can wait for removal of tooth, healing of the extraction site and has enough bone to place an implant.
The implant is replacing one tooth here
The teeth on the upper left were replaced with implants. That is why they look longer from the gum down.
2. BRIDGE- DENTAL BRIDGES USE TEETH ADJACENT TO THE MISSING TOOTH TO REPLACE IT. THE MAJOR BENEFIT IS THERE IS NOT WAITING TIME MEANING YOU NEVER HAVE TO APPEAR TO HAVE LOST A TOOTH.
This is a great image to show the replacement of a front tooth. If you are going to lose a front tooth, a bridge is an excellent option.
This patient is missing 4 front teeth which is impossible to detect in her smile. This is a bridge.